Scope of Activities
In April 2016, the Eye on Earth Governance decided to strengthen the focus on the movement’s defining purpose, namely the fundamental and low-level enablers required to bring about the change required to realize the movement’s Vision.
Three Focal Areas were identified: Data Infrastructures, Capacity Development and Access to Information. Simultaneously three orthogonal Engagement Domains were identified: the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Natural Environment and the Built Environment. This separation of issue from context results in a framework of nine high level engagement areas. In each engagement area the agenda is that of the Focal Area whilst the context is the Engagement Domain.
The Eye on Earth scope of activities thus comprises:
- Access to information for the SDG’s
- Access to information for the Natural Environment.
- Access to information for the Built Environment
- Data Infrastructure for the SDG’s
- Data Infrastructure for the Natural Environment.
- Data Infrastructure for the Built Environment
- Data/Information related Capacity Building for the SDG’s
- Data/Information related Capacity Building for the Natural Environment.
- Data/Information related Capacity Building for the Built Environment
Recognising that the three Focal Areas are inter-related the following additional activities are also in-scope:
- Capacity Development for Access to Information
- Capacity Development for Data Infrastructures
- Data Infrastructures for Access to Information